Social Pathology and Identification of Components of Linguistic Influence in Social Network Literature (Study Twitter and Instagram)
Author: Vahid Hojjatinikoo (Author)
Speaker: Vahid Hojjatinikoo
Topic: Language, Community, Ethnicity
The GLOCAL CALA 2023 General Session
“This study was conducted with the aim of social pathology and identifying the components influenced by language in the social network literature in the two platforms of Twitter and Instagram in 2020.
Statistical population, sample size
The statistical population of this study is young people between 20 and 30 years old in Mashhad, Iran, which according to the National Statistics Organization, their number is equal to 913,755 people. Using Cochran’s formula, 400 people as a sample size by method possible random sampling is selected.
Research methods and tools
The method of this research is descriptive-survey and a researcher-made questionnaire has been used to collect information. Each item has been evaluated based on the Likert scale. Then SPSS software has been used to analyze the data.
Findings show that demographic factors such as age, gender and education are influential in changing the linguistic components of the literature used in social networks. For example, the use of colloquial and informal literature among women, as well as less educational levels 20 to 25 years has been more common than the master’s degree and the age group.
The results show that mixing the language of poetry and poetic prose with the standard language of science, inconsistent writing style, wide use of spelling, confusion of calligraphy and interference of personal tastes, existence of numerous spelling mistakes, ambiguity of sentences, compound and long sentences, inaccurate meaning Vocabulary, putting sentence components in the wrong place, and being overly influenced by colloquial language have been the most linguistically influenced components in the social media literature, which are more commonly used on the Instagram platform, while The use of the official language and the observance of writing tips were more observed in the Twitter platform.
• Creating literary education networks in the context of social networks.
• Establishment of literary working groups based on demographic factors.
• Creating platforms for identifying and teaching local, national languages, dialects and dialects of each region for the members of the mentioned community.
• Identify the social connections of the new generation with ancient literature.
• Principled and expert attention to scientific and literary editing of scientific and specialized books and articles common in the market.
• Identify cyber misconduct in the field of literature and provide coping strategies.”
Keywords: Social pathology, Language changes, iterature, Social networks